Monday 16 June 2008

Recent Purchases

So I've not updated this thing in over 2 weeks (not that anyone cares), and am at a loss as to what to write about. I've decided to take the lazy way out and post some of my recent purchases. I apologise in advance for the truly terrible picture quality, but I've not yet invested in a digital camera and so have had to use the camera on my mobile phone.



Essence - Mariposa

A bit of an impulse by, but after hearing her guest appearance on the wonderful Lunar Rings by Solar Stone (video below), and after discovering this album was only £1.50 new on Amazon I decided to go for it. Here's a fan video to Luner Rings, a strong contender for my favourite song of the year so far:





The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America

I downloaded the leak of their new album at the recommendation of someone over at Digital Dream Door. I fell in love with it (I fully intend to buy it when it's released) and so decided to explore their back catalogue. This album isn't quite as good, but I certainly liked it enough to give it a buy. First Night is probably worth the £6 I payed for it on its own.



Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster...

I downloaded this after seeing it at the top of someone's list for 2008. It's as catchy as hell, though the male vocals take some getting used to. They have that forced accent thing which seems to be popular in this country at the moment. Its pretty cringeworthy to hear a middle guy trying to sing in a regional, working class accent, but the music more than makes up for it.



Paprika

I really enjoyed Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue, so after hearing the praise for this film by him, and feeling in the mood to buy another DVD, I decided to go for it. I have no idea when I'll watch it, though, as I've still got Gunslinger Girl, Requiem From the Darkness and the Rurouni Kenshin film on DVD, a good 2 or 3 anime series downloaded on my computer and god knows how many live action films, all queued up to watch.





Hourglass of Summer

I'm not too experience in the world of visual novels. I guess I want to change that (I'll probably write about my impressions of visual novals in a later post), and while browsing JBox I saw this going cheap (I think it came to about £10, including shipping which actually cost as much as the game itself). It seems to be quite highly regarded in the genre, too, so this title is as good as any to get a taste for these types of game. It came with a cool little art book, which is nice, though to be honest I've seen bigger instruction manuals for toasters:



So there we have it, despite my rantings about the evils of capitalism I'm still a bit of a consumerist whore.

No comments: